Canadian Employment Law: Compliance for Doing Business North of the Border
|OnDemand Webinar||$209||Add to Cart|
Better understand Canadian employment law and feel more confident in your ability to navigate employment issues that arise.Why can't we just fire everyone? Can we get a strong noncompete? Aren't they considered at-will? Can we cut someone's pay? We have to do what? These are just a few of the many questions that American employers frequently ask their Canadian lawyers. This topic will answer all of these questions, as well as many more that you are sure to encounter if you have any employees working in Canada. Learn the basics of Canadian labor and employment law and gain practical information that will immediately improve your ability to deal with simple and complex employment issues. By the end of the material you will likely have a better understanding of Canadian employment law than most Canadians. The information will leave you feeling more confident in your ability to navigate employment issues that arise north of the boarder, and will provide you the opportunity to further develop cultural competency skills.
AuthorsCassandra da Costa, Filion Wakely Thorup Angeletti LLP Brian P. MacDonald, Filion Wakely Thorup Angeletti LLP
• Federal vs. Provincial Jurisdiction - What Laws Will Apply to Your Company?
• A Quick Guide to the Main Players - Courts, Government Ministries, and Tribunals
• Common Issues Faced by American Companies Operating in Canada
• With Cause and Without Cause Terminations
• Common Law vs. Statutory Notice Periods
• The Importance of Employment Contracts
• Noncompetes and Other Restrictive Covenants
• Organizing Campaigns - What Can You Do?
• Unfair Labour Practices
• Dealing With a Union
Human Rights Issues
• Protected Grounds
• The Duty to Accommodate - When Does It Apply and How Far Does It Go?
• Emerging Issues, Including Delays, Increased Costs, and Self-Represented Parties