Form I9 VerificationRakesh Jha
October 24, 2008 — 3,168 views
What is I-9 Form?
I-9 form or Employment Eligibility Verification Form is a drafted file that has to be furnished by the employer, if he/she is hiring a new employee. This serves as a legal document mandated for the employees approval and to ascertain their entitlement to work legally in United States.
An I-9 form must be completed for every person your firm hires to perform labor or services, in return for wages or remuneration (including food and lodging).Also, adhering to the mandatory requirement of Form 1-9, enables employers to easily conduct legal "right to work" form I-9 employment verification, on new employees.
The I-9 form verification helps you to properly scrutinize the candidate's status about his legal permission to work in United States. Any non-complying company, employing illegal immigrants or people who have not been entitled to work in U.S, may have to face sever legal and financial consequences as imposed by the Department of Homeland Security.
What is a Form I-9 verification system ?
The verification process involves some electronic verification of the submitted details, such as SSN numbers or Immigration "A" number, through any of the documents from List A or one of the documents from List B along with one from List C, so as to establish accuracy, expediency, promptness and reliability.
The documents contained in this list are:
- List A documents( Documents that establish both identity and employment eligibility ), such as United states Passport, Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card and others.
- While List B(Documents that establish identity only ) include, Driver's license issued by a state, ID card issued by a state or outlying possession besides others and List C (Documents that establish employment eligibility only )comprises of Certification of Birth Abroad, US Citizen ID Card and etc.
- Once the electronic verification of the SSN number or immigration "A" number is completed, a unique Department of Home Security verification number is then supplied to verify the results.
Benefits of I-9 compliance services for verification
- Confirms the legal "right to work" status of newly hired employee, and helps to obtain a unique verification number from dept of Homeland security.
- Access to the Digital library of active and inactive I-9 forms, facilitating easy paperless retrieval, anytime and anywhere for future updating, re-verification and governmental inspections.
- Acts as a Cost effective solution for reducing your exposure to government audits, financial penalties and negative publicity resulting from non-compliance.
- Improves the accuracy of your payroll and tax reporting, and offers protection from employees using fraudulent social security numbers.
- Helps to curb identity thefts.
- Reduces human errors in completing the I-9 forms.
- Helps protect U.S jobs for individuals who are legally entitled with right to work in the United States.
- Checks the rise in immigrants working illegally in the United States.
About the Author
Info Cubic offers wide variety of Employment Screening services like form I-9 employment verification services, background checks and business credit reports.For more information, tips and advice, please visit: I9 Verification