HOME » NEWS » ARTICLES » Eight in Ten Internet Users Go Online for Health Information
Eight in Ten Internet Users Go Online for Health Information
Andy Malinoski November 21, 2006 — 1,758 views
According to a new report released by Pew Internet & American Life Project, a non-profit research center studying the social effects of the Internet on Americans:
- Eighty percent of American internet users, or some 113 million adults, have searched for information on at least one of seventeen health topics.
- Most internet users start at a general search engine when researching health and medical advice online.
- Just 15% of health seekers say they "always" check the source and date of the health information they find online, while another 10% say they do so "most of the time."
- Fully three-quarters of health seekers say they check the source and date "only sometimes," "hardly ever," or "never," which translates to about 85 million Americans gathering health advice online without consistently examining the quality indicators of the information they find.
- Most health seekers are pleased about what they find online, but some are frustrated or confused.
Source: Online Health Search 2006, October 29, 2006. Pew Internet & American Life Project. www.pewinternet.org
Consumers are beginning to seek out information with the tools they have available.
As more and more dollars accumulate into Health Savings Accounts, Health Reimbursement Arrangements and Flexible Spending Accounts - the market will take notice and consumerism will continue to grow in regards to health care.
Andy Malinoski is Vice President of Marketing and Communications for Vested Health. Joining Vested Health in January 2006, Malinoski is an advocate for consumer-driven plans based on real life experience with health care benefits professionally as an employer and personally as a father of three children. Andy oversees the account management, media relations and educational material development key to providing consumers information about how their health plan works and the benefits available to them through their Vested Health plan.