How to Get Motivated for Better ResultsNancy Stampahar
January 9, 2010 — 2,711 views
Ask yourself, "What is it like to work around here?" or "What is it like to live my life?" Your answers will help you understand how your responses to people and situations are affecting your motivation to have healthier and more fulfilling results at work and home. Motivation comes from within each person. No one can motivate you to do anything you do not want to do. You have to want something strongly enough before you are willing to make a change and take a look at yourself or your organization. If you wait for someone or something to change, you may never get the results you want and need. It is up to you to do something different, to make something different happen.
When you are fulfilled professionally and personally, your customers, co-workers, friends and family become a part of the ripple affect. Turnover, complaints and conflicts are reduced, which bring increased productivity, improved relationships, quality of life and morale. You will have less stress and drama when you choose to make healthier and wiser choices. Work and life become fun and more rewarding for you, and everyone around you.
If your organization and home are experiencing low morale, frustration and burnout, you can revitalize your culture's attitude and performance by addressing the following questions:
- What communication strategies are in place?
- What activities are in place to empower self-directed teams and individual growth?
- Are people skills, professional development and leadership abilities key criteria for recruitment, retention and promotion?
- What goals, performance measurements and accountability acitivies are implemented?
- What reward and consequence systems are practiced?
- How effective are front-line supervisors and managers as coaches and team leaders?
- What customer, employee and personal-growth feedback mechanisms are utilized?
- How open-minded is each individual to self-awareness and self-development?
- At the end of the day, does each individual feel appreciated and valued?
- And finally, ask yourself, "Do I consistently get out of bed each morning looking forward to my work, and my life?".
There are many effective strategies that can bring about motivating and fulfilling environments. Some people know how different things can be because they have taken responsibility and actions to experience healthy and satisfying environments, while many other people have no idea how much better things can be because they do not question how situations can be handled differently. When you take the initiative to make positive changes in your workplace and personal life, you will get motivated, feel happier and achieve success. If you let life control you, you will not grow and prosper. This is your life to control and enjoy; go for it. It's never too late to get happy!
Nancy Stampahar inspires people into action with her enthusiasm and lemons to lemonade wisdom and expertise. She is the author of the 2009 IPPY Award winning self-help, inspirational book, peace, love and lemonade: a recipe to make your life sweeter and a sought-after organizational development consultant, trainer and speaker. Nancy solely owns and directs her business Silver Lining Solutions. She earned her BSBA in human resource management from Robert Morris University, after she decided to make lemonade. She received the 2009 Joe Ott Award from ACHIEVA, which serves people with disabilities in recognition of outstanding vision, volunteer leadership and generosity of spirit.