The ADA, Addiction and Alcoholism: What an Employer Needs to Know
Charles J. Mataya
Bradley Arant Boult Cummings LLP
You will Learn:
- ADA Basics and recent changes that now make the law even more complicated.
- The “reasonable accommodation” concept, including some examples of techniques used by employers in managing the issue.
- The differences between protections offered by the ADA in alcohol-related circumstances, and those involving the abuse of other controlled substances.
- Tips and techniques you might use when confronting an employee you believe may have an addiction problem.
- Practical issues presented by testing employees, including both ADA and privacy issues. The discussion will include a review of some recent cases relating to these issues.
One of the most misunderstood and confounding problems impacting businesses today is managing drug and alcohol abuse within its workforce. This has become even more difficult with recent amendments to the Americans with Disabilities Act. In this quick preview of our upcoming live webinar we highlight some of the differences between alcoholism and drug addiction, and how these interact with the protections demanded by the ADA. This preview is from our full on-demand webinar, “The ADA, Addiction And Alcoholism: What An Employer Needs To Know” which focuses on the myriad of issues related to this difficult problem, and suggesting the best way to handle some of these.
Sign up for a free Bronze membership today to receive your complimentary ondemand webinar!
Please provide a valid business e-mail to receive your access instructions.
Already a member? Log In
You will receive a Free Bronze Membership
to HR Resource with your OnDemand Webinar!